Associated Grocers of New England, Inc. was organized in February 1946 by an enterprising group of 21 Independent Retailers resolved to form a company with greater purchasing power than they could realize individually. It first operated as New Hampshire Wholesale Grocers in an 18,000-square-foot warehouse facility in Concord, New Hampshire, and soon moved to Manchester, New Hampshire to accommodate growth in Members and sales. The Company quickly became Associated Grocers of New England, which better represented the rapidly expanding market area.
After two moves and numerous warehouse expansions, in 2006 a new, state-of-the-art, 380,000-square-foot Distribution Center – with 11 million cubic feet of space and constructed on 74 acres in Pembroke, New Hampshire – became AG New England’s home. The design of this new facility effectively doubled the capacity of the Manchester facility to expand and enhance product offerings. The property allows for future building expansion to upwards of 650,000 square feet.
In April of 2014, AG New England broke ground for a 105,000 square foot expansion encompassing grocery, refrigerated, frozen and office areas. Included with this expansion is the installation of a Dematic Multi-shuttle automated product selection system. This system will allow AG New England to vastly increase the sku count, particularly in slower moving specialty, natural and organic items, and do so in an extremely compact footprint.
This impressive facility offers retailers an expansive, and growing, variety of products as well as retail support services such as advertising, marketing, store equipment & design, merchandising, bookkeeping and retail systems. A dedicated team of 300-plus employees services over 600 stores in the six-state New England region, upstate New York/Albany area, and eastern Pennsylvania.